Spring cleaning is a tradition worth keeping for many Americans: 62 percent of those recently polled by the Cleaning Institute say spring cleaning is an annual ritual in their home.
Though it might not be the most exciting task, an annual deep clean means a great deal to the health of your home – and to those in it. Tackling the job like a professional can save you time and money, so follow these top pro tips to stop procrastinating and start cleaning.
1. Schedule cleaning: Pick a date for the job and create a plan to get the work done in record time.
2. Get motivated: Use audio motivators to prevent distraction and head off boredom. Play upbeat music for an energy boost or listen to your favorite audio book.
3. Dress for the task: Professional cleaners dress for the job in comfortable, washable clothing designed for work. End the era of bleach-stained sweatshirts and set aside a “cleaning uniform,” including shoes, gloves and eye protection, to make sure you’re dressed for cleaning success.
4. Invest in proper tools: Buy good tools once and you’ll be set for years of cleaning. A quality vacuum, mop and scrub brush will last through years of elbow grease.
5. Tote your tools: Professional cleaners tote their tools with them as they work so they are ready to tackle any cleaning feat. Stash your vacuum, mop and mini-vac in the doorway so they’re ready for action. Tuck a plastic bag for trash into your pocket with the duster. Invest in a caddy so you can carry all your cleaning solutions with you from room to room.
6. Simplify supplies: There’s a reason the pros can tote all the products they need in one tray: they’ve simplified their cleaning products. Professional cleaners go to work carrying the “Big Four”: an all-purpose cleaner; bathroom cleaner; glass cleaner; and heavy-duty degreasing cleaner. Zep Commercial Heavy Duty Foaming Degreaser (a professional product that’s now available to consumers) has citrus solvents that cut through grease easily on nearly all surfaces and provides for no-scrub cleaning.
7. Pick it up: Give yourself the same head start you would give professional cleaners by picking up dishes, clothes or anything else not in its place before you clean.
8. Make every moment count: Professional cleaners don’t circle a room more than once. Use a discerning eye to make sure you leave no grime in your wake.
9. Two hands are better than one: Get in the habit of using both hands to attack cleaning tasks. Spray a mirror with one hand; wipe it down with the other. Scrub counters with two sponges or cleaning cloths. Dusting goes twice as fast with a duster in one hand cleaning nooks and crannies and a microfiber cleaning cloth in the other skimming flat surfaces.
10. Think teamwork: Where family circumstances permit, make cleaning a family affair. Family members are more reluctant to mess up a clean house when they have been part of the cleaning effort.
Put these tips to work this spring and you’ll be able to tackle even the most daunting messes. Armed with these tips and some effective products, you’ll be well on your way to a clean and healthy home. Zep Commercial Heavy Duty Foaming Degreaser is available at Walmart and Home Depot, as well as independent hardware stores nationwide. For more spring cleaning tips and product information, visit www.mycleanlikeapro.com.