When disaster strikes, either health- or security-related, theá Bureau County Health Department’s Medical Reserve Corps is ready to step in and help.
The Medical Reserve Corps is a national network of volunteers dedicated to ensuring hometown security as part of the President’s USA Freedom Corps.
MRC volunteers - medical professionals and others with varying skills from all walks of life - donate their time and expertise to promote healthy living, addressing challenges from public health education to disaster response. Volunteers include medical and public health professionals, as well as community members such as interpreters, chaplains, office workers, and legal advisors. Volunteers help supplement existing local emergency and public health resources.
How the MRC benefits the Bureau County community:
- Public Health Preparedness
- Mass antibiotic dispensing
- Surge Capacity
- Shelter staffing
- Alternative care facility
- Mental health support
- Emergency communication
- Community Outreach
- Blood drives
- Food Safety
- Smoking cessation education
- Classroom education
- Immunization clinics
- Diabetes education
Some of the roles MRC volunteers may fill include:
- Volunteers with medical background may assist with vaccinations and light first aid.
- Volunteers may assist people filling out consent forms and record forms.
- Help guide people through medication dispensing sites, feeding sites, shelter sites.
- Volunteers may provide comforting and counseling to the people affected by an emergency or disaster.
- Help obtaining, dispensing and tracking of needed supplies.
Volunteers may also Assist local hospitals and health departments with surge personnel needs; participate in community preparedness activities, such as exercises for shelters, mass prophylaxis, vaccination clinics, and other emergency scenarios; and train with local emergency response partners.
There are several ways to join the MRC:
- Calling the Bureau County Health Department at 815-872-5091 ext. 227.
- Stopping by the Bureau County Health Department, 526 Bureau Valley Pkwy., Princeton, IL 61356
To learn more contact:
(815) 872-5091 ext 216