The weather outside may be frightful, but you can keep warm on the inside with these two hearty winter soup recipes.
1. Easiest Broccoli Soup EVER
- From allrecipes.com
- Serves 2
- 1 pound broccoli, cut into small pieces
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Place a steamer insert into a saucepan. Add water to just below bottom of insert. Bring water to a boil. Add broccoli, cover pot. Steam broccoli until fork-tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer broccoli to blender, allowing to cool slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Place milk, Cheddar cheese, and Parmesan cheese in blender. Start blender, using several quick pulses, then put it on puree. Or use a stick blender and puree in a bowl.
2. Roasted Butternut Squash and Shallot Soup
- From Cooking Light
- Serves 6 (⅔ cup)
- 4 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large shallots, peeled and halved
- 1 (1/2-inch) piece peeled fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons (1-inch) slices fresh chives
- Cracked black pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°. Combine first 5 ingredients in a roasting pan or jelly-roll pan; toss well. Bake 50 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Cool 10 minutes.
- Place half of squash mixture and half of broth in a blender. Remove blender lid plug to allow steam to escape. Place clean towel over opening. Blend until smooth.
- Pour into large saucepan. Repeat with remaining squash mixture and broth. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until heated. Top with chives and pepper, if desired.